OHSAS 18001 Certification in UAE
OHSAS 18001:2007 Occupational Health and Safety Management System
OHSAS 18001:2007 is the globally recognized Standard for Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Management Systems.
The 18001:2007 Standard provides a framework to holistically manage the organization’s occupational safety and health hazard. Regardless of the complexity or size, the OHSAS 18001 is designed to enable organizations to enhance safety in the workplace.
The 18001:2007 Standard allows organizations to demonstrate their commitment towards the safe and efficient working environment. The 18001:2007 Standard helps in identifying, analyzing the OHS risks and taking preventive actions to manage these activities.
The rationale behind OHSAS 18001 is to continuously minimize occupational hazard risk in the workplace, which in turn improves the company’s productivity.
ISO 45001:2018 Certification in UAE
Currently OHSAS 18001:2007 Certification is being replaced by ISO 45001: 2018. The latest Standard sets out effective requirements for enhancing workplace safety. The ISO 45001:2018 Standard is intended for reducing fatal accidental injuries, minor injuries at workplace and loss of working days.
Statistics of the International Labour Organization (ILO), 2017 indicate that 2.78 million fatal accidents happen at workplace annually. Also, there are 374 million work-related minor injuries take place.
The ISO 45001:2018 is structured to integrate with other ISO Quality Management Standards. The new Standard is compatible with the ISO 9001 (Quality Management) and ISO 14001 (Environmental Management).
At present, the transition from OHSAS 18001 to ISO 45001:2018 Standard is going on with organizations which are already certified with the OHSAS 18001: 2007. The IAF (International Accreditation Forum) has developed and published the migration requirements for changing certification from OHSAS 18001:2007 to ISO 45001:2018.
Difference between ISO 45001: 2018 Standard Certification and the OHSAS 18001:2007 Standard Certification
The ISO 45001 Standard will replace the OHSAS 18001 Standard. Though ISO 45001 Standard uses the key concepts from OHSAS 18001, it is a separate Standard and not just an update.
The key difference of ISO 45001:2018 Standard from OHSAS 18001:2007 Standard is:
• The new Standard is more process-based and less procedure based, unlike the OHSAS 18001 Standard.
• ISO 45001 Standard required the organization’s management take a leadership role in OH&S. The standard requires the incorporation of health and safety into the overall management system of the organization.
• ISO 45001 specifies employee training and classes to help create safety programs, identify risks and foster employee engagement
• ISO 45001 is a preventive process, it helps in evaluating the risks and take the corrective action before any accidents or injuries occur. The OHSAS 18001 is focused only on hazard control
ISO 45001: 2018 – Key benefits for your business
The ISO 45001 is built on the plan-do-check-act (PDCA) model. The ISO 45001 Standard helps in minimizing the risk of injury or illness in the workplace and follow industry best practices for occupational health and safety of your employees.
• Reduction in workplace accidents
• Minimize absenteeism and staff turnover leading to enhanced productivity
• Save Insurance premium cost
• Healthy and safe work culture
• Employee involvement in OHS operations
• Reinforced leadership commitment to proactively improve OHS performance
• Ability to meet legal and regulatory requirements
• Enhanced reputation and staff morale
Getting started with ISO 45001: 2018 Occupational Health & Safety Management System (OH&S) Certification?
Here are few tips to get you started with the ISO 45001: 2018 Standard. Get certified with ISO 45001:2018 Standard and be known as an employee-friendly brand and pledge your social responsibility of securing your workplace from any accidents.
• Conduct a current state analysis with respect to the OH&S scenario. Determine Internal and external factors to establish a well-structured OH&S
• Establish the scope of the system, perform a goal-setting exercise, and strive to achieve the goals
• Set your OH&S policy and objectives
• Work on the timelines and implementation plan and strategies
• Determine resources/conduct gap analysis/ create preventive measures etc. before you implement the Standard and request an audit for the Certification
KCS’s expert professional Consultants are equipped with the latest release of the ISO Certification Standards. We are happy to guide you throughout and post the Certification process. To know more on ISO 45001:2018 Certification, feel free to set up a free consultation with us today itself!